Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Imprisoned For Nearly Five Years Without Charge

STRASBOURG, France, Sept. 27 /U.S. Newswire/ -- As the United States Administration seeks new legislation stripping Guantanamo prisoners of the right -- now affirmed twice by the U.S. Supreme Court -- to judicial review of their imprisonment, attorneys for Lakhdar Boumediene, a Bosnian citizen imprisoned for nearly five years without charge at Guantanamo, today filed an application in the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg against Bosnia and Herzegovina for on-going violations of the European Convention on Human Rights.

Boumediene's wife, commenting on the application stated, "I want peace, law and justice. I desperately want my husband back home with me and the girls. My daughters and I both really miss him and need him. It will be five years in October that he has been separated from us. I hope that this suit brings justice."  ...

[Despite] two U.S. Supreme Court rulings confirming Boumediene has a right to a federal court hearing to review the government's claimed reasons for his imprisonment, Boumediene continues to languish while the administration tries to persuade U.S. legislators again to strip that right.

more... http://releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease.asp?id=73290  

No comments: